home meetglynnis books speakingtopics resources contact

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Last year I had the chance to speak in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.  After the conference, the precious pastor's wife took me to the grocery store at my request. The reason is I LOVE to visit grocery stores in a new city.  They always have great regional specialties.

I was only looking for some Creole or Cajun treats, but discovered something amazing.  That day I saw something I'd never known about, being an Arizona gal and all.  It was a wall of King Cakes for sale!   These beautiful cakes were covered in purple, green and yellow frosting and filled with different fruits and flavors. 

Just the day before I'd eaten my first King Cake made by the ladies of the church.  I had no idea you could buy them in the stores.

I bought one to carry home on the plane, and wished I bought more.  For a year I checked the Internet to find somewhere to buy them in Phoenix.  No success. Finally, I told my new friend Amy Bayliss about my desire for a King Cake and she sent me her personal recipe - actually her grandmother's recipe!

Sunday, I made my first King Cake and it tasted amazing.  It took all afternoon, and we had it for dessert. 


This isn't exactly what it's supposed to look like.  Normally, it is in an oval circle, sometimes with braided dough.  I don't work with yeast dough often, and it rose more than I thought it would.  But it tasted great.  And the colored sugar hides the flaws ... kind of.

If you are interested in the history of the King Cake, here's some info.   The recipe on this page is the same one Amy sent me.  The only difference I made was adding a filling.  I blended 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup chopped pecans, 1/4 cup flour and 4 Tablespoons melted butter.  NOTE:  I should have doubled it. 

To add the filling, simply roll it out after the first rising.  Spread the filling and then form it into a big circle (unless you want it round like mine). 

I also didn't make the lemon frosting. 

If you like making unique items, and learning about regional customs, I can recommend this.  And say "thank you" to Amy for sharing her personal family recipe.  That was just as much a treat as the King Cake.

In His Love,

Glynnis

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Glynnis,

Wish I would have been able to hear you speak when you were in Baton Rouge!!! Gambino's, one of the best local bakeries, ships their King Cakes--here's the link:http://www.gambinos.com/shop/default.php.

B. said...

So glad you loved your visit!! I am addicted to these things. I have the misfortunate to live near the best grocery store bakery for king cakes- Carter's supermarket- and eat an inappropriate amount of them. I am so sorry to report a slice 1/20 of the cake is 6 weight watcher points.

Kelly T. said...

Great job on your King Cake! I'm a New Orleans native now living in central Florida. Ironically, one of the things we miss most about Louisiana is the food. Loved the grocery store story:-)