A few days ago I wrote about the breakfast redesign we had in the Whitwer home a few years ago. I wanted to share a few ideas for a fast and nutritious breakfast that you and your kids will love. If it's a bread-based recipe, we always add fruit and other protein sources to round out the menu. I also cut back on fat whenever possible.
1. French toast - I use one egg per piece of bread. To the egg I add a little milk, cinnamon and vanilla. I use a small frying pan and put about 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil. That way the edges of the French toast crisp up.
2. Rolled pancake - Thin out regular pancake batter. Pour into one large circle on your griddle. About 8" across is manageable. Once pancake is cooked, spread one side with fruit preserve of your choice. Roll pancake and sprinkle with powdered sugar or whipped cream.
3. Breakfast burrito 0 We use any combination of eggs, meat and veggies - top with cheese and salsa and roll in a flour tortilla. When I get very adventurous, I use chorizo sausage - yum!
4. Deviled eggs - My kids love them and I figured it was a great way to get protein in them at breakfast.
5. Sausage in a biscuit - Purchase sausage links and cook. Make sure they are hot. Then make or purchase biscuits and flatten into a circle big enough to wrap the sausage. Then bake in the oven according to directions for the biscuit. Making sure the sausage is hot is the key, otherwise you have a gummy biscuit on the inside.
6. Scrambled eggs and bacon - For a quick fix, cut the bacon into small pieces then fry. Once completely cooked, add beaten eggs. This is fast because the bacon cooks quicker cut up.
7. Scotch Eggs - Hard boil your eggs. Wrap each egg with bulk sausage and then roll in bread crumbs. Fry eggs until sausage is completely cooked. This can be made up the night before and refrigerated.
8. Bagel sandwich - We create our own egg, ham and cheese sandwich using a store bought bagel. This just takes minutes when you toast the bagel and cook the eggs at the same time.
9. Biscuits and gravy - For my family of 7, we use about a pound of bulk sausage. When that's completely cooked, sprinkle with about a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of flour. Once the flour and sausage mixture has cooked for 3-4 minutes, pour in 1 to 2 cups of milk. Salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil over medium and stir with a whisk. This makes enough for us to have one biscuit with gravy each.
10. Fruit smoothie - We have tried various recipes and finally came up with one we love! Freeze one cup of berries - already cut up. Add frozen berries, one sliced banana, one cup skim milk and 2 or 3 teaspoons of sugar. Really. That's it.
Every one of these recipes I can make in under 15 minutes. One more suggestion - create a breakfast menu and post it on your fridge. Then purchase some of these ingredients and have them on hand. I find my mind goes blank in the mornings - especially before my second cup of coffee.
Now for the Fearless Friday reveal - 162.5!
What a difference it made knowing I had to post my weight.
If you decided to join me in my challenge, I have been praying for you by name. I'll be watching for your post. If I don't hear from you, I may check up on you. (hee, hee)
In His Love,