home meetglynnis books speakingtopics resources contact

Monday, December 6, 2010

It's going to be a busy week for me.  I'm finishing my book (thank you to everyone who has prayed for me.  It's been truly miraculous how God has answered those prayers.  I'm almost done.  Praise God!)

My two youngest sons wrestle Wednesday night, Thursday night and all day Friday.  Then on Saturday I travel north to Cottonwood to speak at a women's Christmas lunch, and stay over night to speak to their church on Sunday.   And God again miraculously showed up as I finished my second talk this past weekend.  

In the midst of the busyness, I wanted to remind myself of things I love about Christmas.  I want to treasure those moments that could slip past me in my focus to get everything done.  You see, I've realized there really aren't that many really BIG moments ... but there are hundreds of small moments. 

It's when I pause, even for a minute ... to notice ... to breathe in the beauty ... to wonder .... to hope ... that's when the magnificence appears.  There are divine moments all around.  I just need to stop long enough to see.

So, here are  five, plus one, things I love about Christmas.

1. Watching my children make Christmas lists.

2. Seeing a Christmas stamp on a card-sized envelope and knowing someone thought about me.

3. Christmas lights on houses. 

4. The smell of pine.

5. Hearing "A Strange Way to Save the World" ... and crying over the beauty of the gift we received.

The last thing I love about Christmas is the thoughts that enter my mind more at this month than any other. It's not a small thing at all, so it didn't really fit in with the other small things.  But a thought always starts small.  This one I let grow until it consumes me.

The ultimate humility and sacrifice
of Christ
to come to earth as a baby
only to die
at our hands  ...

... so we could live.


In His love,

Glynnis

1 comment:

Tasha said...

Wow! Thank you so much for reminding me to stop and remember the things I am thankful for! I love Christmas! When my son was just a few months old we were preparing for his 1st Christmas. I bought a book called something like the best thing about Christmas? It talks about "we love all the smells of Christmas, the sounds of Christmas, shopping together, singing together, praying together, just being together...but that's not the best thing about Christmas! So, what is the best thing about Christmas?...the Birth of Jesus!" I love this book. My son is now 5 and we still read it. Not only at Christmastime either!