home meetglynnis books speakingtopics resources contact

Monday, May 24, 2010

School has been out for two days, and we are right in the middle of the transition period.  It's kind of like when you are driving on a smooth highway, but need to pull over for a rest and there's that rough edge between the freeway and the shoulder.   It's shaky and uncomfortable until you get over the bump.

That's what it's like at our house right now.  Everyone is re-learning what it means to spend all the live-long day together.  They are learning to clean up after they fix themselves lunch.  Pick up shoes. Turn off lights. Etc. Etc.  And it hasn't been the ideal entrance into summer.

Everyone is a bit on edge ... or maybe that's just me.  No,  it's everyone based on the bickering.

Plus, we are leaving tomorrow on a two-week trip, so you can imagine what it's like trying to motivate everyone to help clean the house, wash/fold/put up the clothes, do the lawn, clean the pool, sweep the front walkway, and shop for incidentals all with a good attitude.  Especially when they all think vacation has started!

It's always like this getting ready for a trip.  Based on experience, it will be worth all the stress.  But right now I'm still trying to tie up loose ends, like write a blog post so no one wonders which edge of the earth I fell off of  (or, which edge of the earth of which off I fell. - don't want to end on a preposition now, do we?)

Actually, I should have completely rewritten that last sentence, but I'm too tired.

Really, I can't wait to spend time with the people I love most in this world. Starting tomorrow we will be over the hump and back onto smooth ground.

So I'll just end with a wish for you:  May your own transition be smooth, and your tribe motivated. 

And may God bless you and your family in your sweet summer time together.

In His Love,
Glynnis

4 comments:

Crystal said...

Today my five year old cried for nearly four hours (not an exaggeration) because she wanted to go wading in the lake, and I told her we would all go...as soon as she picked up the toys in her room. There wasn't much out - it would have taken her all of two minutes - but no. We never did get to go have fun. We are about to eat dinner, then baths and bedtime. I think I did the right thing. We've been having some issues lately with Mom being the slave of the household, and the other day I put my foot down that whoever gets something out can put it away - and then we can ALL enjoy some downtime. (Instead of the kids playing while Mom slaves all day picking up after everyone.) :(

Shelly said...

Will miss reading your posts, Glynnis!

Have a wonderful vacation!!!

Shelly
http://shellysc.blogspot.com/

Jodie Wolfe said...

Hope you have a great trip. Praying for you as you transition.

Blessings,
Jodie

Anonymous said...

I am always jolted when I hear that rumble strip noise on the highway. Maybe it's like the spring thunders before the summer shoulder stops.