home meetglynnis books speakingtopics resources contact

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Two weeks ago I bought one of my daughters a pair of sandals.  She loved them at first glance, but I could see they were just a bit too big for her.  She tried them on, took a few steps, and insisted they would fit fine.

I had my suspicions, and asked her again if she was sure these were going to fit.  After another round of insisting, I gave in and bought the shoes ... which I haven't seen on her since.

You see, we have a  history, my girl and I, of this happening.  Her insisting she'll wear something, only to get it home and find there's something just not right about it.  It's too tight here, it itches there, and so on. 

This morning she finally admitted they didn't fit right.  So her sister is the proud owner of a new pair of sandals today.

This pattern is frustrating to me.  I never know when she's going to decide she doesn't like today what she loved yesterday.  Honestly, it makes me NOT want to buy her anything expensive so that we don't waste the money.

My mom took the girls to a puppet show this morning, and so I had some time to think after they left.  And I realized that God must think the same thing about me sometimes.  There are times when I'm sure I want something ... I see others having the same thing, and it looks like fun. It almost fits me, and I could wear it, but in reality, there's something that's just not right about it. 

In my past, this has happened more with responsibilities than clothing.  I'm enthusiastic about a lot of things, and often only see the bright shiny surface of the opportunity.  Without taking time to really investigate the reality of that opportunity, I've gotten myself involved with things that really weren't a good fit.

Interestingly, just like I bought my daughter the shoes, even with my suspicions, God has allowed me to "put things on" that He knew all along wouldn't fit.  I had to learn it for myself that what He picks out for me is really the best fit of all.

The challenge is figuring that all out.  It's intentionally going to God and asking Him to confirm my choices and opportunities.  It's not jumping at something because it looks good.  It's wearing something awhile (if I can) before I "buy" it. 

I want to be able to buy my daughter lovely things that I know will fit her well.  But for now, she is still learning to trust my judgment, and not be impulsive. 

Does God want to give me blessings, but withholds them until I trust His judgement completely?  It's an interesting question for a Saturday morning. 

Grace & Peace to you today, my friend.

Glynnis

*********

Congratulations to Ashley for winning the sticky note portfolio I was giving away this past week.  Thanks to everyone who commented as well.  I've got lots more fun things to give away so keep reading.  Ashley - I sent you an email, but if you don't get it, contact me directly at editor@proverbs31.org.

3 comments:

Sharon Sloan said...

I love this post, Glynnis, and not just because I love shoes! :)

This has put a new prayer in my heart to the Lord ~ Lord, I want to only wear shoes that fit perfectly....the way you intend them to. Establish and bless the work of my heart and hands...and feet!

Happy Mother's Day, Glynnis!

Love,
Sharon

Danielle said...

Oh, my! I could have written this about my daughter and I. It is a constant battle with us! I get so frustrated with her and have threatened many times to stop buying her anything.

Man, now I see myself and God because of this post. I never associated to two before. But, I AM like that. Praise God He's never withheld blessings from me because of the things I do.

I'll be chewing on this one for awhile. Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

I also love this post and the metaphor of the shoes. I'll remember it and take heart from it also :)