home meetglynnis books speakingtopics resources contact

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Thank you to all who prayed for Dylan and me in the past 24 hours.  We are home from surgery.

There is good news and bad.  The good news is that Dylan's ACL is fine.  Praise God.  The bad news also contains a bit of good news.  We were hoping the tear in Dylan's meniscus was repairable.  It was not.  Apparently it's too jagged to suture effectively.  So the doctor trimmed away the ripped part.  This will mean Dylan can't do any long distance running for the rest of his life (without a miracle healing). 

Sadly, this is hard for my husband and Dylan to hear. My husband runs marathons, and half triathlons.  Dylan has run a half marathon and done a quarter triathlon.  This was something they did together, that now they won't be able to do.  (except for a miracle healing!! Can you tell what I'm praying for?)

The small piece of good news for my son is he won't have to be on crutches for six weeks.  Although he was ready to do it, he's really happy he won't have to, especially being a senior and all that entails at the end of the school year. 

There was one concerning bit of news that I really appreciate your prayers about.  In the recovery room, the nurse asked me if Dylan ever had an irregular heart beat.  Interestingly, about five years ago we had taken Dylan to a pediatric cardiologist for an irregularity - I think it was a murmur.  We were told it wasn't unusual for an athletic young person to have this.

But today, the nurse saw something different.  It was something called a PVC (Premature Ventricular Contractions).  She said it could have been because of the anesthesia - but that is was very unusual for a 17 year old to have such a high occurrence of them.  They never went away.

Since everything else was fine, she sent Dylan home with a recommendation that we go back to a cardiologist.  So now that's on my list.

Thank you again for your prayers and notes of encouragement.  They made such a difference.  If you have ever experienced that peace that passes understanding, you know what I'm talking about.  I can honestly say God performed a miracle in my heart - there was no worry, fear or tears.  Just Jesus' peace. 

In His love,

Glynnis

5 comments:

Kate said...

Praying for you to have peace and for Dylan's complete recovery.

Anonymous said...

Hi Glynnis,

I'm praying for full healing for Dylan. He's too young to have to deal with a life-long injury, and not be able to run with his dad and later on possibly with his children. Also praying for his heart.

I'm glad that you received peace about the surgery! May God's peace continue to lead you and you walk through this journey with your son.

Also, I finally ordered your book, "When Your Child is Hurting". I had been meaning to for a while, and when you said that it had been taken out of print, I thought that I had better hurry and get it while you still have stock! I felt bad for you about that news. This topic is one that would be close to any parents heart, so I'm surprised that it didn't sell well.

Blessings!

Connie ~ Winnipeg

Ana Stine said...

So glad to hear he's home and doing better. We will pray for miracles.

Andrea Fortenberry said...

So glad to hear the update and that you felt peace. I'll be praying for the miraculous healing of Dylan's knee and for his visit to the cardiologist. Of course, I'll also be praying for his Mama. ;)

Unknown said...

Glad to hear your sweet Dylan is on the road to recovery. God is certain to be involved with Dylan's recovery as I am sure he knows your heart and I hope he leaves you comforted knowing He has everything under control.
Being a mom of a child who played ice hockey for 15 years, I know the anxiety of wondering what would need repaired next. Keep the faith,Glynnis, as it will never be something God can't fix.