home meetglynnis books speakingtopics resources contact

Monday, January 3, 2011

I meant to announce the winner of the beautiful note pad last Friday, but I had too much fun playing with my family that day and completely forgot!  

So, I'm a bit late and ask your forgiveness for making a promise I didn't keep.

With delight, I have randomly selected "Faithgirl" as the winner.  I sent her a personal e-mail, but if that didn't go through and you are reading, please email me personally at editor@Proverbs31.org.

My children went back to school today, and I breathed a sigh of relief.  I used to feel guilty for feeling that way, but no more.  Being a work-at-home mom, I do quite a bit of maneuvering when the family is home.  I'm happy to do so, but it's also nice getting back to a routine.  And getting ready for the New Year.

One thing I'm not doing is making New Year's Resolutions.  And if you check back on Wednesday, you'll see that even if I did, I wouldn't announce them.  Wednesday I've got a devotion running on Encouragement for Today titled "I'm Keeping my New Year's Resolutions to Myself!" It's kind of a controversial look at announcing resolutions.

New Year's Resolutions seem faddish to me.  Annually faddish.  One person makes them, then someone else decides it's a good idea and makes them for themselves.  How many people really keep them, after all?

I am for setting goals, and wish I set them in more areas of my life.  I'm solid at setting professional goals, which for me crosses into ministry goals, since they overlap.  But I'm sporadic at best at setting spiritual, relational or personal goals.  It's not that those areas aren't a priority, but I'm not purposefully moving forward in them.  Plus, they have always been too easy to let slip when the pressure is on. 

While not a resolution, I'm giving myself a challenge to consider setting goals in areas of my life that I haven't addressed. 

On Wednesday, you'll see why I'll keep them to myself.

In His Love,
Glynnis

2 comments:

Sharon Sloan said...

Happy Fresh Year, Glynnis!!

When I made resolutions, I kept them to myself, too. :) I'll be interested to read your devo and post tomorrow!!

The Lord has put on my heart one resolution: "Resolve to honor my Name." Malachi 2:2 Transformation over resolutions. Too lofty for me to attain. Only by His grace and Truth can it be so.

Looking forward to stopping back tomorrow!

Warm hugs,
Sharon

Anonymous said...

It's nice to hear that I'm not the only one who doesn't do New Year resolutions! It's true what you said that they seem faddish, and we can easily take on someone elses ideas. I know that I can!

I think that on the other hand, that if the Lord is speaking to us about something, that that itself is something to focus on, whether it be the new year or not. Last year God gave me this scripture several time over again, and it felt like it was to be my verse for the year and beyond.

Proverbs 4:25,26a says to "Look straight ahead, and fix your eyes on what lies before you. Mark out a straight path for your feet..."

God wants me to keep focused on what He is putting in front of me, not to doubt or be discouraged, but just to keep walking forward.
Big rewards with obedience!

That kind of new year resolution I can do. I'm looking forward to seeing what God is going to do this year!

Bless you!
Connie ~ Winnipeg