I'm so happy to welcome my friend Melanie Chitwood, as a guest blogger today. She is one of my partners in ministry at Proverbs 31, and an author and speaker as well. Her first book was published a few years ago titled "What a Husband Needs from His Wife," and God is using it in amazing ways to strengthen marriages. Melanie's next book is due out in January and will be for the husbands. Today, I asked Melanie to share some tips on how wives can invest in their husbands and their marriage.
Top Ten Tips for Turning Your Heart to Your Husband
When I think about marriage, I always think about the phrase, “The best of times and the worst of times.” My marriage has lots of ups and downs and God sure has used it to refine my character.
One thing I know: investing in your marriage pays off. God tells us in Galatians 6:7, “…for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap.” So here are some ideas to sow into your marriage.
1. Make sure friendship with your husband is a top priority. Don’t let girlfriends, hobbies, work, kids, and other interests cause your life to be too crowded for friendship with your husband.
2. Have fun! Do something together you both enjoy (or used to enjoy). Laugh and get refreshed.
3. Thank God for 5 specific ways your husband is “it on a stick.”
4. Little things matter. Do the little things to invest in your marriage. Send a sweet email, make a favorite meal, do a chore he normally does, smile, tell him you respect his hard work ethic.
5. Zip your lips. God’s Word tells us there’s a time to speak and a time to be silent. Does your husband really need your advice, judgment or complaint?
6. Guard your heart – be careful what you watch on tv, read, conversations with others that make you feel like your husband is lacking.
7. Deal with unforgiveness today. Talk to God, confess, repent, ask God if you need to talk to your husband about the situation or if it’s something between just you and God.
8. Don’t replay in your head an argument you had with your husband. Let it go.
9. Be careful how you talk to others, including your mom, your best friend, and your kids, about your husband.
10. Your husband wants to be intimate with you in all ways, emotionally, spiritually, mentally and physically. For a man often the easiest way to feel connected to his wife is to make love. Then he’ll be ready to connect with you emotionally. So have some fun in the bedroom!
Thanks for reading today! A little about me – I live in Charlotte, NC with my husband and two sons where we spend a whole lot of time at our new business, Carolina Courts, an indoor basketball/volleyball facility. I serve with Proverbs 31 Ministries and have written What a Husband Needs from His Wife and What a Wife Needs from Her Husband (available January 2010). I’d love for you to visit me at www.melaniechitwood.com.
This is the last in my series of tips. I hope you've enjoyed them.
In His Love,