home meetglynnis books speakingtopics resources contact

Thursday, February 14, 2008


I walked out of my bedroom this morning to discover my 10-year-old daughter Ruth opening and closing drawers. She moved from the rolling plastic 5-drawer organizer where she and her sister keep their coloring supplies, to the 4-drawer wicker organizer, to the drawers in the baker's rack.

When asked about the treasure at the end of her hunt, she told me it her notebook. Since the girl has about 150 "notebooks," I was clueless about which one she wanted. Thankfully, within seconds she had found it and brought it over to me to check her spelling on her list of "rules."

Here's what she wrote:

nice
cind (kind)
lisin (listen)
thinck (think)
do not chet (cheat)
kip your had to your self (keep your hands to yourself)
falow dirakshon (follow directions)
downt wine (don't whine)
ask nicely
clin up (clean up)
lisin to other people wen they tack (listen to other people when they talk)

A side note might be helpful. My daughter spent the first 8 years of her life in war-torn Liberia Africa, where she had never been to school, nor even held a pencil. She is working very hard to learn, and spell right. But her mis-spellings were insignificant compared to the amazingly precious heart this "list of rules" revealed.

I had no idea Ruth has been keeping track of all the "rules" she has been taught on how to be respectful to others and show love. She told me she reads her rules to remind herself of what she is supposed to do.

I think Ruth has a great idea. This Valentine's Day, maybe I need to write a list of rules to read to myself about how to show love and respect to others more - especially those closest to me.

My list of rules might look something like this:

Speak in a gentle voice at all times.
Wait to find out what really happened before reacting.
Pray when I am getting angry.
Take a time out before I say something I'll regret.
Stop working on the computer when someone is talking to me.
Really listen.
Play more.
Laugh more.
Have fun.
Pray more.

Oh, that's just the start of how I can show more love to those closest to me. I am so thankful a little child reminded me that there nothing more important that showing love. Thank you my sweet Ruth.

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another." John 13:34

Happy Valentine's Day!

Love,
Glynnis

5 comments:

Jodie Wolfe said...

Happy Valentine's Day Glynnis. Thanks for the sweet reminder. :)

Jan said...

Happy Valentine's Day! Blessings, Jan

Carol said...

I love it! Your Ruth sounds so precious! I think I'll take your rules to heart, also. I'm sure those could do me a little good, too. Happy Valentine's Day!

i_am_4given said...

How sweet!! What a blessing Ruth is to you!! Happy Valentine's Day!!

Blessings
Ronnie

Kimberly said...

How precious! We can learn so much from our children! And I need to live by those rules you listed for yourself!
Thanks for sharing!
Love and Blessings,
Kimberly
(Note: I got here from one of your devotionals, which I enjoyed so very much!)