It was a very difficult week. Without naming names, everyone in my immediate family had either diappointed me or hurt me somehow during the week. By Saturday night I was very weepy. Although there had been forgiveness and restoration, I was still sad.
I love my family beyond words, but honestly, sometimes life in close quarters with others is very hard. I never take for granted what I have, but I wonder why it's so difficult at times.
So Saturday night as I lay in bed, even prayers came hard. Lord, I asked. Can you please give me a reminder that You love me? Just a small one. Just a sign that You are there? That was what I could manage, and then God blessed me with sleep.
This morning, I woke up before the 5:45 a.m. setting on my alarm clock. The reason for getting up so early? I sing on the worship team for the 8:30 service and we practice at 7:30 a.m. My oldest two sons (age 16 and 14) lead worship for the 5th and 6th graders at 8:30 and so they practice at 7:30 too. Plus my youngest son runs sounds for his brothers.
So Sunday mornings are early, and our habit (if we get out the door on time) is to stop at QT for something to eat or drink. Yes, I know that's not the healthiest thing for my kids in the morning, but I try and make up for it during the week.
I believe God woke me up early on purpose to make sure we got out the door on time. Because as I pulled into QT, I caught a glimpse of the most amazing sunrise in the rear view mirror. It was stunningly beautiful. Streaks of crimson blazed across the sky. I pulled into the parking space, got out and turned around ... sighed and smiled. Thank you, God.
The vibrancy of colors was gone in minutes, but the gift God gave me ... the reminder of His love ... stayed with me all morning.
So I got to thinking, what could I do when I need to remember God loves me. Here are some things I can do in 3 minutes:
1) Get up early and watch the sunrise.
2) Cut some roses from my garden (yes they bloom in Jan. in AZ) and breathe deeply.
3) Buy some roses or other flowers and breathe deeply.
4) Listen to my favorite song. here's a link to one of mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6zdihmwy1M
5) Remember how God protects and defends me. Another link to a great skit and song: http://www.godtube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=ee73e63418003b47d7d5
6) Read God's love letter to me. Read Romans 8. Here's a link to that chapter on Biblegateway.com: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans%208&version=31
I'm much better today. Friday was bad, but God was already planning Sunday. Sound familiar? Halleluia!!!
In His Love,